The trip to New York actually began before I even booked my hotel.
It began with a man named Adonis.
[right to left] Myself, Adonis and his friend
I met Adonis while in Staunton, Virginia and we were both staying at the Valley Mission. 'The Mission", as it was called, was a homeless shelter on West Beverley Street. I met many different people there and from many different walks of life. I learned adversity truly knows no color.
Despite my challenges I still managed to have memorable experiences. A place integral to that was a bar called Bricks. It was also located in Staunton; right up the road in fact. You could literally walk there and it was a nice moderate stroll. I remember passing the library often for about 3 years.Yeah, the bar was cool. I learned to play pool; albeit I was the most accident-prone of the three of us and I even did stand-up. The food at Bricks was fire! I'll likely write a food review of one of their dishes. The drinks were of a reasonable price and definitely did their job.
Lo and behold, Bricks was at the core of my trip to New York. Come to find out: Adonis had been banned from the bar. This was the result of some events I wasn't privy to. Long story short, said events, led to Adonis being arrested and imprisoned for 8 months!
I promised I'd pick him up once he got out; so, out of gratitude he promised to show me around New York (which was also where he was being held).
Me nearing Freeman St Station/Manhattan & Brooklyn
I'd been to New York as a child. I was only about 7 years old. That was my first (I'd say) real experience travelling. I'd been within the state I'd lived in and even gone south towards Georgia, but going to New York was another experience altogether.
I was excited and it proved to be worth my while.
I never knew so many people could live in one city. When we walked through Times Square I remember stunning yet dilapidated sights.I returned this time, as an adult, and there was an extravagant dullness to the area.
Maybe dullness isn't the right word. There were definitely people there. It's impossible for New York to be empty even if you can't see anyone. It's just that...the BARS CLOSED at 2 AM!
I couldn't believe it. "The City That Never Sleeps" had in fact fallen asleep. The only thing open that early morning was a McDonald's. Despite our adventorous tour I felt somewhat jilted.
We spent the next few hours waiting for the next subway.
I'll cover the next day in part 2!




Comments
Post a Comment